Top 10 Low Carb Savoury Snacks
Snacks make up around 30% of the average UK adult’s daily energy intake, so it’s super important that your snacks are nutritious as well as delicious! If snacks are a guilty pleasure for you then it’s time to get back to the drawing board and rethink your snacking game. Here’s our pick of the top 10 health-optimising snacks to compliment your healthy meals and lifestyle.
- Organic Popcorn – Popcorn is a wholegrain and so is great for topping up your fibre intake between meals, which most of us could do with. It’s also a good source of B Vitamins and Vitamin E. Popcorn is easily transformed into a super tasty snack with natural powdered flavours that pack a punch without adding sugar or calories. Be sure to source an organic, natural popcorn which is free from inflammatory oils and other hidden nasties.
- Biltong and Jerky – These are both dried meat snacks made by either roasting or curing fresh meat to preserve their natural goodness. They can be sourced from a number of different animals but are most commonly made using beef. They are both high protein, low carb snacks and are extremely rich in iron. Be sure to choose a jerky or biltong which is made using grass fed animals and flavoured with only natural herbs and spices – no hidden nasties!
- Organic Berries – Berries are packed with vitamins, minerals and antioxidant polyphenols. They’re also the fruit of choice for anyone following a Paleo, Keto or Low Carb lifestyle. Berries provide a great source of a whole spectrum of nutrients, including fibre which most of us don’t get enough of. They’re also low in calories and sugar, which can be unexpectedly high in other fruits.
- Homemade Trail Mix – This snack has huge potential – packing in nuts, seeds, dried fruit and even chocolate for a massive nutritional hit. However, store bought trial mix tends to cost a fortune and is often crammed with hidden nasties such as added sugar. By making your own you get to choose each ingredient, making sure it is the best for you. Choose unsalted nuts, dark chocolate, organic seeds and dried berries (rather than other dried fruit) to keep the sugar and carb content low.
- Nuts and Seeds – Both designed by nature to provide a potent source of healthy fats and protein in a tiny package, nuts and seeds are the perfect low carb, high protein snack. Choose unsalted and naturally flavoured to avoid any potentially harmful nutrients and opt for organic if possible. As nuts and seeds are extremely energy dense, be mindful to not eat them by the bagful to avoid weight gain!
- Crudités – Crudités is just a posh way of saying raw veggies, usually sliced into batons or sticks which are easy to grab a hold of and munch away on. They’re low in calories, carbs and sugar free and eating veggies raw maximises the bioavailability of the nutrients they contain. Dunk into peanut butter or guacamole for some added flavour and a delicious dose of healthy fats.
- Fat Bombs – Fat bombs are a Paleo and Keto favourite and are usually homemade rather than store bought. As the name suggests, they are super high in healthy fats – usually made up of >90% fat from sources such as coconut oil, peanut butter, avocado or cream cheese. They can then be flavoured with sweet or savoury extras of your choosing – from berries to bacon and beyond! So long as they’re high fat, sugar-free and bite-sized, then they qualify as a fat bomb!
- Dark Chocolate – That’s right, chocolate! Chocolate made with 70% cocoa solids or more is free from the masses of added sugar you’d find in white or milk chocolate, making it much better for you. Dark chocolate is packed with antioxidants and flavanols, compounds which have been shown to lower blood pressure and reduce the risk of heart disease.
- Oily Fish – Snacking on canned fish such as mackerel, sardines or tuna is a great way to get some healthy fats and premium protein into your day between meals. Oily fish provides a rich source of Omega-3 fatty acids which help to support heart and brain health. Opt for wild caught fish for a sustainable snack that’s as good for the planet as it is for you.
- Grass Fed Salami Sticks – Last but certainly not least – in fact, we think we’ve left the best til last! – Salami sticks. These are a great source of lean protein and ideal for on-the-go snacking. They’re often made with pork sausage meat, but beef salami sticks provide nutrients in a more bioavailable form. Always choose a salami stick which is made using only natural ingredients and look out for Grass Fed Salami – the gold standard when it comes to any meat product.
So, snacking isn’t a guilty pleasure after all! In fact, choosing snacks which are nutritious is a great way to curb pesky cravings and stay happy and satisfied between meals – optimising your nutritional intake and health in the meantime!